Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Times of your (Second) Life: Pregnancy

(This is the first in a series of articles looking at different stages of life, as experienced in Second Life)

There's a reason why the game we play is called Second Life. We enter this place. Make friends. Maybe get a job. Buy land, and get a home. Possibly even fall in love, and get partnered. Then comes the day when you make the biggest decision of anyone's life: To bring another life into the world. However, since all sex in SL is safe (physically, if not always emotionally), and there aren't any cartoon storks around, virtual child bearing involves shopping, some planning, and listening to what your tummy tells you.

In order to get a better perspective, I sat down with two expepectant mothers inworld, Katie Morphett and Tenya Babii, to ask them what made them want to go through SL pregnancy, and how they were finding it.


Voodoo: Katie... what attracted you to becoming pregnant in the game?
Katie Morphett: Well, I saw someone pregnant, and Bubbles and I thought about it for awhile, then recently we went to BOJ (Bundle of Joy) and bought a package :)
Voodoo: Bubbles being your partner?
Katie Morphett: Yup .
Voodoo: Now Bubbles is female too.... I understand she is also pregnant in game?
Katie Morphett: Yes, that’s right.
Voodoo: Is there an SL father?
Katie Morphett: Nope. It's a game, and we both thought we didn’t need to.
Voodoo: Moving to Tenya for a moment... what made you think this was something you wanted to do?
Tenya Babii: Well, one day I was thinking to myself “Can we have babies on here?” and I figured I would type in search and see and I saw that we could. Well the other day me and Cryptid started talking about kids on here and I asked him about having one, and he said yes. So I already had my shape in my Inventory and showed him, and he said yes.
Voodoo: and Cryptid is your partner?
Tenya Babii: mmhmm
Voodoo: He's a Furry, and you are a Neko... do you have any idea what the baby is going to be? Or is that going to be a surprise?
Tenya Babii: Well, we have been to a place that has furry babies and we are both lions so are going to have a baby girl lion cub
Voodoo: Now... Tenya has only just become pregnant... Katie, when did you… conceive, if you will?
Katie Morphett: Well, I'm giving birth October 30th. We planned the pregnancy April 30th . :)
Voodoo: so... a 6 month pregnancy?
Katie Morphett: Yes :)
Voodoo: Was there a reason for choosing that amount, rather than 9 months?
Katie Morphett: Well, we were going to make it 9 months, but then we thought... "that will be a long time..." So we decided to pick a date, and that’s when we are going to give birth .
Voodoo: Right... and Tenya... how long are you going to be pregnant?
Tenya Babii: We are having ours in september because sl preggos only last 4 weeks
Voodoo: How so?
Tenya Babii: I was told that by a friend who had her baby, that they only last 4 weeks
Katie Morphett: Well, the longest is 4 weeks, but we bought out bellies and we are waiting lmao
Voodoo: So it's more determined by the pregnancies you buy?
Katie Morphett: Yes.
Tenya Babii: Right, I do mine by appearance, so I can do mine by the day and my baby whisper (messages given off by the pregnant tummy, regarding cravings and feelings) goes by trimester
Katie Morphett: Yeah, I have the interactive tummy, but I bought the whispers too .
Voodoo: so... you purchase a tummy, whispers, and then a baby... are there any other expenses?
Katie Morphett: Well, maternity clothes, baby furniture..
Tenya Babii: the ao (animation over-ride), if the baby does not come with the ao
Katie Morphett: The pregnancy ao [ though i haven't gotten that ]
Tenya Babii: Me either
Voodoo: Is there anything for the birth itself?
Tenya Babii: Yes, you can have the birth on sl. You get on the table and have the baby
Voodoo: wow... I assume it doesn't take 36 hours though
Tenya Babii: nooo, I hope not
Voodoo: Katie... how have your friends reacted to yours and bubble's pregnancies?
Katie Morphett: Well, they are mostly all happy for us, like whenever they see us they rub our tummy or something close.
Voodoo: Do you wear the tummy at all times? As I know the temptation is to change our looks all the time?
Katie Morphett: Well, yes, I keep my tummy on all the time, cause I wanted to have the baby, so i have to keep the tummy on :)
Voodoo: I take it you will too, Tenya?
Tenya Babii: Yes
Voodoo: May I ask, do either of you work in SL? Or are you on maternity leave, so to speak?
Tenya Babii: Cryptid is working
Katie Morphett: I work, At a Really Awesome Club, Called Carnage :) I Don't want to give up there even after i have the baby, lo l. And Bubbles is continuing with her slave clothing business (Cerberus Designs). I am opening up a furniture store as well
Voodoo: May I ask what you do at the club?
Katie Morphett: I dance, NOT strip, though ;)
Voodoo: And how have the patrons reacted to a pregnant dancer?
Katie Morphett: Well, it’s not rare to have a pregnant dancer, I have seen a few in my sl life. They treat me like most dancers, except they tend to click my tummy alot :)
Voodoo: If I may ask, are either of you pregnant in real life?
Tenya Babii: Noo
Katie Morphett: I am not :)
Voodoo: Any plans to be?
Katie Morphett: Not that I know of :) I think I’m happy with my little girl, for now :D
Tenya Babii: One day. I hope to be still young though and wish to have one of my own:)
Voodoo: One final question... you are pregnant... you give birth... you have the baby you bought... are you planning to have it grow up? And will you have someone take on that role?
Katie Morphett: Uhm, Yes, we want someone to take on that role, after the baby "grows up" :)
Voodoo: How will you choose that person? Do you have someone in mind?
Katie Morphett: well, not really, I guess we are going to a clinic and meet some kids, to see who will take the best role .
Voodoo: and Tenya... have you considered that far ahead?
Tenya Babii: We have not talk yet about that we will when the time comes but till then we just want to think about money and getting everything ready and how i am going to pay for it all because cryptid is leaving and when he comes back i am goint o have the baby and everything has to be done i dont have time to really think about the future for the baby... I have to take one day at a time an try not to stress
Voodoo: Well.... I'd like to thank you both for speaking to me, and best of luck with your babies.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews