Friday, January 23, 2009

Newbie in Second Life

Let’s be honest here, all of us have been through the “Newbie” stage in Second Life. It’s a stage full of mixed emotions. You feel happy for being part of a new evolution in the game world. You feel confused because you have no idea what to do in the game. But, mainly, you feel excited as you learn to play and learn the tricks to survive in such a strange world.
Survival! Yes, I never thought that would play such a great role in a game!

A few months ago, I was persuaded to join Second Life by some friends. It was not long after when I decided to try it out. My first day was a pretty normal, nice people were talking to me, others simply ignored me, and one girl Vikky Palianta, was very kind to take me to a freebie store so that I could get new clothes. The next day I logged in and was very lost, I had no idea where to go, what to do and what to expect, that’s when I met Dalton Lytton, who is now my friend and somewhat of a mentor; he helps me out every time I need a new Second Life Lesson.

I thought SL, as it’s called by all the residents, would be fun and interactive, but I soon learned that many of the residents had other intentions. I thought I could trust everyone in SL, but many residents have been disrespectful, mean and have taken advantage of the “Newbie” situation. I will not generalize; there have also been very nice people that have helped me out many times, like Vikky and Dalton. I have run into griefers, spammers and many other people that just look to harm others and their properties. I never thought Second Life could be such a dangerous place if you are weak and an easy catch to these types of people. It is truly a resemblance of Real Life.

Second Life is full of surprises, no one can know what to expect in every sim. You can find a sim where you can enjoy a pleasant time, meet new people and experience what SL should really be about. Other times you will find sims that are full of “pervs” that only want to harass you. I had that experience my very first week. I was exploring SL, when I got a TP from a person I had met, so I took it. I ended up at a sex island sim and that person just left me there when I said I did not want to have “sex” with him. I walked all around asking people how I could get out, but no one helped me. There was one man that treated me nicely and told me to have a sit with him and I did. After a few exchanged words, he began asking me if he could touch me in a sexual way, I got mad and left. He kept sending me IM’s telling me how sexy I was and what he could do to me in Real Life; I got so scared that I even thought about closing my SL account.

After talking to my friend Dalton, I learned that I could report a person, but I had forgotten his name. Now, things have been much easier for me. I have learned to “put my guard up” and not let anyone take advantage of me for being a “Newbie”. I can now say that with a very tough lesson learned I can enjoy Second Life as it should be enjoyed. “Newbies” don’t get fooled by nice faces or people treating you nice, you can never know their true intentions.

Lizzy Arriaga

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews