Monday, June 11, 2007

The man behind the Wheelies

Simon Walsh is has been in Second Life since early 2006, and as such, is quite well grounded in the world. He owns an island, which homes his hugely popular club, Wheelies (which you can find here). Simon is slightly different to other SL users, describing himself as a "SL wheelchair user with ambition!", and that ambition has not only led to his success with the club, and island, but also has brought him international media attention, and in fact, he will be featured in Newsweek this week. Not bad for a British guy with cerebal palsey. I caught up with this unique person to find out more about the him, Wheelies, and his SL experience:


Voodoo Buwan: So, can you explain the inspiration behind "Wheelies"?
Simon Walsh: It was a bit of fun to be honest and everyone had clubs back them, and so what does a disabled man calls his club...but its grow and grow
Voodoo Buwan: So, was your intention to make somewhere for other disabled people to come and party, or is the title more to do with where you are coming from?
Simon Walsh: Always be an inclusive club. Wheelies is a disability theme club
not a club for disabled people. All are welcome.
Voodoo Buwan: But a place that, while all are welcome, people with disabilities can come without feeling their disability is an issue? is that fair?
Simon Walsh: Yes
Voodoo Buwan: If I can say, without coming across the wrong way, I notice you are in a wheelchair in SL. Many people with impairments in SL choose to embrace the opportunity to not have not have it. May I ask why you chose to be in a wheelchair here too?
Simon Walsh: Ok, you are a man in rl?
Voodoo Buwan: Yes
Simon Walsh: Why are you a man in sl?
Voodoo Buwan: Right... so you are being true to yourself?
Simon Walsh: Yep, I’ve got no time to pretend. I do walk in rl with helmet, and use wheelchair often, but its true me, only I am slimmer and younger here and I’ve worn wetsuit shorts for 6 weeks :)
Voodoo Buwan: How have you found people's reaction to you as a person in a wheelchair in SL?
Simon Walsh: In the early days... and this was when there were 200000 users, it was hard at times as a newbie. Now, I am not 'a wheelchair user'. I am 'owner of wheelies' because I’ve been seen on TV and people track me down. I am the famous git I always wanted to me
Voodoo Buwan: So SL has brought the attention of the RL media?
Simon Walsh: omg yes. It started with Canada news, over the youtube video (which can be seen at http://www.simonstevens.com/), then bbc radio 4, UK Times, UK disability now and now newsweek. Oh, and blog after blog after blog in many languages.
Voodoo Buwan: So, how has your newfound fame affected you?
Simon Walsh: It’s made me calmer, but it’s still about helping the newbies. i think being a role model is important. Fame is a job for me.
Voodoo Buwan: So, you've kind of become an elder statesman on SL?
Simon Walsh: Hehe, wheelies has its place
Voodoo Buwan: Is it true to say that SL has opened up opportunities to you that were denied you in rl?
Simon Walsh: Yes, and that’s sounds sad. i have a lot of opportunities in rl. i achieved 10 times more than most in rl. in sl, i achieve 100 times
Voodoo Buwan: So SL is just another way to push your drive and ambition
Simon Walsh: Yes, the big leap to real success
Voodoo Buwan: And what next for Simon Walsh?
Simon Walsh: Stevens centre, a place for disability equality training for rl in sl
Voodoo Buwan: Still looking to give something back?
Simon Walsh: And make a lot of rl money
Voodoo Buwan: Well, thank you for speaking to me, and best of luck

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews