Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Interview with Bixyl Shuftan


DD: What made you decide to be an non human in sl?

BS:I'm something of a science-fiction nut, so the idea appealed to me. In stories, mammal-like aliens, such as "Star Trek's" Caitians have appealed to me. I also wanted to stand out a little. I think my sense of humor may also have played a role.

DD: What is the difference between Furries and Nekos?

BS: Nekos are closer to regular human in appearance. They usually have just the addition of catlike ears and a tail. But some also have additional features such as a thin coat of fur, claws on the hands, or whiskers. A thicker coat of fur and a slight muzzle might be considered neko, but more often would be thought of as a furry. Furries have much more of a mammalian appearance than a neko does, always having fur along with the ears and tail, usually at least a slight muzzle, and often claws and pawlike feet and hands.

Most nekos in comics & anime, and SL, are girls, though there are a few male nekos. Furries have plenty of males and females, though in SL, there appear to be more furry males than females.

DD: How have you found people to treat you as a Furry?

BS: Although some furries grumble about harassment, its my experience that most people in SL respect me well enough, treating me much like anyone else.

DD: If given the chance to start over would you and if so would you pick the same type of avatar again?

BS:I don't see a reason to start over. If I had to, I would probably pick the same one.

DD: Extra Thoughts?

BS:Furries have something of an iffy reputation, due the genre being associated with X-rated artwork and crazzed fanboys. Although SL's furry population has some oddballs, as a group they're no worse, or better, than anyone else. To paraphrase one furball, "Every genre has it's freaks, and ours are the most visible."

In RL, I've never worn a "fursuit," and probably never will.


Photos by reporter Dashwood Dayafter
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews